Band and choir all-set for 2021 debut!

Fiona Dunn

The empty band room illustrates the cliche, “calm before the storm.”

This Wednesday evening, the Performing Arts Department of Wilsonville High School is putting on their first, and only, concert of the school year. As both a band and choir concert the event’s duration will be two hours, lasting from six to eight. 

In terms of what the concert will be composed of, Miguel Tejeda explained, “It’s basically the finale. It’s a way to honor our seniors and a way to showcase all that we’ve learned through the quarantine year.”

Tejeda is a member of Wilsonville High School’s award-winning a capella group, Soul’d Out, and when asked what part of the event he was most looking forward to Tejeda relayed, “I’m most looking forward to the Soul’d Out songs, which we are singing Fine By Me, by Andy Grammer. I really like that song, and it’s a senior solo, so I’m looking forward to singing that one.”

It’s basically the finale. It’s a way to honor our seniors and a way to showcase all that we’ve learned through the quarantine year.

— Miguel Tejeda

In terms of the event’s protocols and such regarding Covid-19, Tejeda admitted that the choir students would be arriving at the school at four (two hours before the concert even starts), so as to safely undergo their soundchecks. Regarding the performers’ families, each student is only allowed two tickets–which is a fraction of the number they are usually able to bring. 

However, the Wilsonville Broadcasting Network is offering a live stream option so friends and family members, who are unable to attend, will be given the choice to watch it virtually. Tejeda urged any incoming high schoolers to watch the performance as well saying, “It gives you an idea of what choir and band and the performing arts are like in high school.”

The show is sure to be amazing! Make sure to tune in to NFHS on Wednesday evening at six to support the Wilsonville High School Performing Arts Department’s finale concert!