Underclass athletes getting used to speed of high school

Sophomore Mason Seal with a huge block against Lebanon.

Greg Artman

School has begun at WVHS, which means a new batch of students have to get acclimated to the new type of school days. 

This can be a stressful time for students, especially for student athletes. Having to adjust to not only a new school, but new coaches, new friends, and new teammates can be tough.

However, it’s an exciting new opportunity to further their academics and athletics in a bigger setting than what they had in earlier years. 

This year’s sophomores had their freshman year stripped of them due to Covid, so this is their first year of “normal” athletics. 

“It feels great getting back on the field,” says varsity football sophomore Mason Seal. “It’s not the same not being able to hit people, so it was hard on me last fall.” 

When asked about how hard it has been on him trying to get up to speed in school and sports, he explains how football and school are very different in the sense that in one he has way more passion than in the other.

“Adjusting to high school football was easy. It’s something I love doing and I sort of forced myself to get ready for it.” 

But school is not something he is very fond of. “I have to go to school but I get to play football.” 

It’s early in the school year so it’s one of the most stressful times of the year for student-athletes. But overcoming adversity is part of being an athlete.