The Exquisite Vocab Club at WVHS

A student led club with an affinity for fun words!

The new logo for the Vocab Club. Designed specially by Nolan Rapp, Connor Atwood, and Matthew Gomez.

Connor Atwood

The Vocab Club is a student-led club run by President Matthew Gomez. The club made its debut during the club fair in October. With over 100 students in its Google Classroom the club has definitely been a success. Treasurer Connor Atwood quotes, “It’s a very exquisite club.” 

President Matthew Gomez described the goal of the club, “…to provide a space where students feel motivated enough to learn and socialize.” He reiterated that the Vocab Club allows students to further engage academically without being in a disciplinary environment. The club meets biweekly and challenges students to present words that are then voted for democratically. In other words, according to Atwood, “Every fortnight our voluminous and erudite members rally together to brawl in the attempt to expand each other’s lexicon.” The winner of each week gets a custom made t-shirt with an epic vocab slogan on the front. Both Gomez and Atwood claim that the prizes and the uniqueness of the club is what attracts people and draws them in. 

Although the club is an overall success, there has been some conflict with inappropriate words used at the meetings. Because of this the club hired a bouncer, Kellen Hartford. Currently the club is preparing for its first spelling bee next week. The spelling bee will contain around 20 words and the winner will be awarded a one of a kind prize. 

The official adult in charge of the club is Mr. Deeder, who is the clubs’ “…adult supervisor that comes to enjoy the meetings, but doesn’t necessarily need to.” This is because of how well organized the club is in accordance with Atwood. 

When reflecting on his work–Gomez reiterated that the reason he started the club was, “Because I wanted to provide an opportunity to my peers to expand their vocabulary in a place that was more sociable and fun than academic and disciplinary.” It’ll be exciting to see what else is in store for the Vocab Club for the rest of the year.

Because I wanted to provide an opportunity to my peers to expand their vocabulary in a place that was more sociable and fun than academic and disciplinary.

— Matthew Gomez