Band and orchestra: an inside look

Photo by Erick Celis Duran.

Band president Chrissie Hutchinson reflects on WIlsonville’s music program.

Here at Wilsonville high school we offer many different extracurricular activities and some of the most talented students we have are in music composition. Listening to the music our fellow high schoolers are able to produce is quite enjoyable and watching the improvements they make throughout the years is just astonishing. We have a total of four different bands and three different orchestras and these consist of Jazz, Symphonic, Concert and Pep for the bands and for the orchestras we offer Normal, Pit and Full.

What makes each of these organizations different is the genre of music each group plays and who is in each. For the orchestra, they play string instruments unlike in the band where all their sounds are produced from wind or percussion. You may be asking yourself, how do I get affiliated with one of these talented associations? Well, it’s actually fairly simple, if you are more interested in being less competitive and just there for the fun, try out our pep or concert bands, and if not these maybe our normal or full orchestras. Now if you’re looking to play at competitions you can look into symphony and jazz bands or if you would like to be a part of the school plays try out for the pit orchestra who performs all the music during shows that students put on in the auditorium.

When selecting who joins what bands there are a few factors that are put into place and these are what music you play best and what you are interested in pursuing so nothing is forced upon you.

There are also a few events coming up soon that you may want to attend. To start, we have the homecoming parade in which the pep band will be marching, during November our school has a show which the pit band will be playing in as well, and in the fall there will be a festival where Wilsonville will be performing at.

Band is a very huge commitment but I do it because I love to play music, it is my passion and it always will be.”

— Chrissie Hutchinson

Lastly Chrissie Hutchinson was able to take some time out of class to give us a first hand look on what it’s like to be a part of the music program. Some comments she had to give were, “Band is a very huge commitment but I do it because I love to play music, it is my passion and it always will be.” Altogether Wilsonville high school’s band and orchestra are a very special group of people with heaps of aptitude and engagement for the activity and will constantly be improving throughout the years to come.