The Red Cross Club at WVHS

Doing good for the community!

President Payton Saige standing outside of OHSU. She dropped off the letters made by the club!

A new club at our school is making great headway so far this year. In the past WVHS has been involved with the Red Cross, but not quite to this extent. 

The club meets the first Tuesday of every month at lunch and is partnered with The American Red Cross to provide relief to disaster victims. The president of the club Payton Saige also stated, “They’re also known for providing 40% of our nation’s blood supply.” 

Saige’s duties as president include: organizing the blood drives, creating volunteer opportunities for students, creating care packages, and working with the community to promote disaster preparedness and safety. “Our club prepares students for emergency situations and also allows students to give back to the community!” exclaimed Payton. 

The club currently has 42 members, with 10 seniors working towards their Red Cords! Right now the club is completing their Cards for Healthcare Workers project. So far the club has made over 200 cards. “We are so grateful for all the work they do to keep us safe,” stated the president. The cards are then delivered to workers at the Doernbecher Children’s Hospital in Portland.  

The next project the club is working on is getting students CPR and First Aid Certified! They’ve also been recruiting donors for the upcoming blood drive. There’s currently a national blood shortage, so the blood drives are especially important this year. Many will be held before the end of the year!

Our club prepares students for emergency situations and also allows students to give back to the community!

— Payton Saige