Look ahead to Wilsonville Softball

Maddie+Erickson+pitching+in+a+home+game.+Erickson+received+Pitcher+of+the+Year+for+the+2021+season.+

Greg Artman

Maddie Erickson pitching in a home game. Erickson received Pitcher of the Year for the 2021 season.

The Wilsonville softball team had a very successful season last year. The Wildcats, only losing one senior last year, are ready to dominate their league and make a run for the State Championship. 

Returning senior and University of Michigan commit, Maddie Erickson is excited and feeling prepared for the upcoming season. “Last season went really well. I think we had a great season even though we couldn’t compete for state. We won our league.” said Erickson. Erickson also shared her opinions on how the 2022 season will go. “I think this season will be a special one. Without State last year, I know we are looking to secure that ring and have a good time this year.” 

In the 2021 season, Wilsonville had five freshmen on Varsity who are looking to be a dominant squad for the rest of their 3 years at Wilsonville High School. These five freshmen are Grace Wilson, Calli Weaving, Mary Matthews, Talia Valdez, and yours truly Maddie Holly. Valdez, a first baseman for the Wildcats, feels the same as Erickson. “Last season went very well, we won almost all of our games and we had a lot of new girls so we have a tight group after our seniors leave.” Valdez agrees with Ericksons statement that “we will have a strong team again this year since we only lost one player from last year. I think we have a really good shot at even winning the State Championship.” 

Valdez and Erickson both share a favorite memory from the 2021 season. Wilsonville traveled to West Albany High School for a non-league game. Erickson went off hitting 3 back to back to back homeruns. “It was cool to see because she is a super strong player and a strong leader on our team.” stated Valdez. 

Wilsonville is ready to have a great season and bring a State Championship title to Wilsonville High school. 

I think we have a really good shot at even winning the State Championship.

— Talia Valdez