Sophomore’s first finals feelings

Alina Jacobson

From left to right, sophomores Ezra Oesterreich, Shelby Widman, and Siona Ruud working hard at the Wilsonville Public Library to study for their finals. Working together has helped them study significantly this week.

Sophomores this year haven’t experienced real finals throughout their academic career. In an Instagram post, the majority of sophomores have expressed their concern for their math and chemistry finals. Many sophomores are feeling overwhelmed and need help managing their stress.   

What classes’ finals are sophomore’s most nervous about?

The overall consensus for the root of finals stress is math and science classes. Sophomore Kiera Easterly noted, “My stress levels are at a maximum. I’m most nervous about Advanced Algebra.” 

While she is nervous for Algebra, Ezra Oesterreich says, “In Pre-Calc, the study guide is 16 pages this semester, and feels impossible to get it all done, along with my other complicated classes like Chemistry.” Shelby Widman, who’s on the swim team, must go to a swim meet on the Wednesday morning of finals.  She says, “My AP Calc final is gonna be rough! I also have a swim meet the morning of that final and I’m going to cry.” 

Tips:

Even though sophomores are feeling uneasy this week, some have coping mechanisms to recommend. Siona Ruud mentions, “My stress level is at max but it helps me relax when I do homework with friends, so we can help each other out in the areas that we are struggling with.” The Wilsonville Public Library is a great place to go for some peace and quiet to study in a nice environment. 

The way Siona Ruud is coping is by setting her eyes towards the Friday we have off next week, and is also participating in self-care.

Another way students are coping is music! Shelby suggests that since she is very stressed out she has been, “listening to non-English music so it does not distract me. It’s been a lot of Polish disco music.”

What do you think could help you not be stressed? 

When sophomores were asked what teachers could possibly do to help students, Siona said, “I wish that we had longer breaks in between the two finals each day. I would like it to be more like 30 minutes.” Since many students have extracurricular activities, they would love some leniency from their teachers. Kiera says, “It would be so great to get 10 hours of sleep but that’s not an option because of the amount of homework and time spent doing extracurricular activities.”

This year sophomores get their first look at what the rest of their high school career can entail, even if it isn’t positive. To all students here at Wilsonville High School, good luck with your finals! Remember to not stress, to work hard, and participate in some self-care activities. Go Cats!