Vending machines

Image courtesy of Pixaby

Healthy students are happy students

The school is always making improvements, this year one of them included vending machines. As our school moves towards an effort to implement healthier options for students and staff, there are now organic apple slices, organic hard boiled eggs, and string cheese. While this is definitely an applauded attempt to give healthier foods there are still plenty of unhealthy foods deceivingly marked as “oven baked”, “made with whole grains”, and, “containing real fruit”.

A new feature on the vending machines is the new card readers and apple pay. However, senior Chloe Clarke explains, “I can’t ever get the vending machines to take my card, I just end up paying in cash.” So there is definitely some room for improvement. Though, the new machines are more energy efficient; they include both drinks and snacks, whereas before two separate machines were needed.  

As for a healthy vending machine, the over processed jerky, chips, and cookies should be replaced with things like fruits, natural snack bars, and options not containing much, if any, added sugars and preservatives. While the new vending machines are respected, they are far from perfect. Aly Johnston hopes to see the integration of, “I would like to see fresher options, more fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, you know something I would feel good about eating. Maybe even some smoothie drinks.” And this, is something everyone can get behind.