Wildcat tennis competes at state

GM Artman

Senior Ben Pinoli hits a serve against Tualatin. Pinoli has had a great performance all season, and it paid off at state.

The Wilsonville tennis teams played three days of their district tournaments on the 9th, 10th, 11th of May, and after the final day, the boys returned as the winners of their tournament, with the girls taking a close second in theirs.

The girls doubles championship was Wilsonville vs. Wilsonville, with sophomores Mia Poppe and Katie Scoggins and seniors Katya Karlapati and Jenna Garlitz battling it out. In the end, Poppe and Scoggins took the title of district champions, but both pairings competed at the state tournament on the 20th and 21st of May.

Garlitz commented on how making it to state was “definitely [her] favorite part of the season!” She was injured last season and didn’t get to play, and the season before was cancelled due to the pandemic, so ending her final year of high school with a state qualification was a great way to finish the year.

The boys have six teammates headed to state. For singles it was seniors Ben Pinoli and Porter Bowles, with Bowles taking second in districts overall. The two doubles teams were sophomores Clayton Troha and Lucas Anderson and junior and senior Cameron Little and Jeven Lundberg. Little and Lundberg ended the final day with third place overall, and both teams competed at state.

The first day of state, the competition was fierce, and several Wildcats were knocked out of the bracket. However, the second day saw both Pinoli and Scoggins/Poppe in the semifinals, and both took 4th in state for their respective brackets (boys singles and girls doubles).

All three players were disappointed to have gotten so close, but their skill and efforts were commendable, and all of them can now be considered some of the best high school tennis players in the state!

Scoggins and Poppe are both sophomores, and intend to come back even stronger next year. Mia Poppe commented on how one of her goals was to continue to practice over the off-season, and to play more competitively. “My main goal is to just play more,” she added, “and I want to get my friends to play with me too.”

With the four sophomores and two juniors who qualified for state this year, the other members of the tennis teams who are constantly improving, and the influx of new, talented freshmen that will occur next year, Wildcat tennis is looking good to continue with their strong presence among 5A teams.