Curriculum Night returns to WVHS

Link+Crew+Leaders+help+to+guide+parents+during+Curriculum+Night.+This+was+the+first+in-person+Curriculum+Night+in+three+years.+

Hector Baltazar

Link Crew Leaders help to guide parents during Curriculum Night. This was the first in-person Curriculum Night in three years.

On Wednesday, September 14th, Wilsonville High School held their annual Curriculum Night! Each year, Wilsonville welcomes parents and guardians to the high school, and allows them to experience their children’s schedules and meet their teachers.

Last week, each guardian attended classes in 10 minute blocks, and went through some of the content that their children would be learning throughout the 2022 and 2023 school year. 

This event was especially exciting for teachers and parents who were able to interact with friends who they may not have seen for quite some time. “I know so many people in the community, so it was just fun to see parents and friends that I know, and to be able to say hi in the halls,” recalls Ms. Molatore, the Street Law and Leadership teacher. 

This was the first in-person Curriculum Night that the high school has held in three years. During the pandemic, parents would meet their children’s teachers over Zoom. As a result, the current seniors (class of 2023) are the only students whose parents have had the opportunity to attend an in person Curriculum Night before this year. 

Parents were quite receptive to the formatting of the event, and used it as a chance to get closer to teachers. Mr. Slick, an English teacher, has experienced many curriculum nights over his years as a teacher at Wilsonville High School. “I usually have parents sticking around, talking about things that caught their attention, or asking me more questions, like genuine questions about the curriculum itself and what they liked about it or things they’re excited about so yeah there’s lots of engagement.”

Curriculum night is always a great way to start off the year, and it was definitely a success!