The student section: This year vs. last year

Wilsonville+student+section+during+football+game.+Everyone+has+their+phone+flash+on+is+are+waving+them+in+the+air.++++

Greg Artman

Wilsonville student section during football game. Everyone has their phone flash on is are waving them in the air.

Wilsonville sports games are a popular, thrilling event to go to during the week. Some of the most attractive sports are football, volleyball, and basketball. But what makes them so exciting isn’t just the sports game itself, it’s the energetic environment created by the student section. 

WVHS’s student section has always been extremely ecstatic and loud, but has there been a shift in energy of this year’s student section compared to last years? Is this year better than last year or do we need to work on being louder?

Kheller Larson, a junior at WVHS currently playing varsity football says “It was kind of louder last year, but it’s still loud now.” Maybe the absence of last year’s seniors has changed the intensity of our crowd this year. Or is it because a chunk of the juniors and seniors right now are not on the stands but rather playing on the field? After fall sports, maybe we can see a change in the condition of our student section. 

What hasn’t changed, on the other hand, are the volunteers’ hard work managing the recession stands and snack booths during games, as well as WBN’s Sports Broadcasting Manager Mason Seal coordinating the announcers for all our games, which is not always an easy task. 

Nonetheless, we are grateful for a supportive student section and school community that allows for Wilsonville to excite and organize our games as well as they can.