Should we instate 4 day school weeks?

Wilsonville+High+School+has+always+done+5+days+of+school+per+week.+How+would+the+idea+of+a+4-day+school+week+impact+students%3F++

Wilsonville High School

Wilsonville High School has always done 5 days of school per week. How would the idea of a 4-day school week impact students?

What do you like about our current 5-day school weeks? Are the schedules too long for you? Do you wish anything was different about it? A potentially first and common answer would be “less days of school” or “longer weekends.” If we did instate such a thing, how would that plan change our school schedule while making it a fair process?

Less days of school means more free time outside of school to do things such as going out, staying in, or catching up on some sleep. However, if our school system is willing to give students more free time, students will likely have to give up something in return. 

Minus one school day in a week without having to do more work in return sounds too good to be true. In all our classes, teachers still need to be able to cover all their material within the period of the school year. One less day of school may make that more difficult, and the purpose of you taking a class is to learn all about it. 

Therefore, a four-day week inevitably means more schoolwork being handed to you, but you also have a longer weekend to finish it. Champ Ott, a junior, gives his answer to the question if 4-day school weeks would be better than 5-day school weeks, “Probably not, because we’d just get more homework to do in the weekend and it wouldn’t be as much fun.”

You could say that instating 4-day school weeks is a win-lose situation. But all in all, that greatly depends on the individual’s responsibility in how they spend their extended weekend and how much work they try to get done.