The students behind the stars

Getting to know the senior football leaders at Wilsonville High School – off the field

Greg Artman

Brennan Martin hoists fellow senior Cooper Hiday overhead celebrating a TD on senior night. Martin and Hiday are both critical players on this team, leading the Wildcats on and off the field.

We’ve all seen them under the lights, we’re all familiar with them on the field, but how well do we know them under the helmet? Many of us see the athlete more than the student in student athletes. Our seniors have been on a journey with this program for a long time now. In honor of the time they’ve dedicated to football and their success on and off the field, let’s get to know the leaders playing their last season at Wilsonville.

Brennan Martin is a senior linebacker for the Wildcats. He leads the defense through his commanding presence on and off the field as well as his high football IQ and athleticism. He also has a high clutch factor, reigning in an interception to clinch a tremendous win over Westview. Martin has played football for WVHS all 4 years he has attended and has been playing the sport since 5th grade.

In Martin’s own words, his favorite part of football is “the bond you build with your teammates and your coaches.” Martin does not plan on playing football after high school, but he “will always love the game.” He instead is planning “to go to college for academics,” in particular to pursue a career in law. He is planning to “study business/pre-law, then go to law school.” 

On the subject of his experience attending Wilsonville High School as a student athlete, Martin had this to say: “It’s been a great experience, the culture of this school has been great to be involved in as an athlete.” His favorite memory from Wildcat football was “Beating Thurston after losing to them in the semis last year.” We are wishing Brennan the best of luck in his future and hope he has a successful career as a lawyer!

Cooper Hiday really doesn’t need an introduction for fans of Wildcat football. He’s their primary offensive weapon and leading receiver. Hiday has accounted for the majority of the Wildcats’ yards and touchdowns on the season; he’s absolutely electric out on the field. He has put up too many great performances on the year to list off. Like Martin, he’s been playing football all 4 years he’s been here. The best thing about playing football to him is “the thrill after making a big play and the atmosphere of the crowd.”Hiday hopes to play football at the next level. When asked about the possibility of him playing in college, he said “that has always been my dream so if I’m able to carry that out, I’d be really happy.” 

Hiday reported that he loved the culture at Wilsonville, but also commented on the stress of being a student athlete. “Sometimes with such a busy schedule it can be hard to balance school and sports, but I always end up getting the job done.” Similar to Martin, Hiday also named beating Thurston as his favorite experience in high school. Hiday elaborated on this triumphant moment, saying that “It really meant a lot because we lost to them last year in the semifinals and there wasn’t a better feeling in the world than winning.” We all are rooting for Cooper and hope he can keep playing football all the way up to the collegiate level!

Wilsonville High School prides itself on its academics and athletics, and the class of 2023 reflects that passion and proficiency. Today, we focused on the experience of Brennan Martin and Cooper Hiday, but at WVHS all student athletes are worthy of such praise. They are committed to upholding our standard of excellence on and off the field. We have upstanding human beings like Brennan, Cooper, and their peers to thank for our culture here at Wilsonville!