Computer VS paper test taking

Garret Lecroit

Example of what many paper tests are like. They are still the standard for important tests like the PSAT.

Schools have been at an intersection between tradition and the future for quite a few years now. Although much of our education is online, certain work remains with pencil and paper. Test-taking is an avenue in which students receive both varieties.

Whether a student prefers to take tests online or with paper comes down largely to the class and the student’s preference. For example, nearly every math-based test will be on paper owing to the necessity of showing work prior to the solution. However, most multiple-choice-centered tests will more likely take place online.

“I prefer online tests because they’re more flexible,” state junior Champ Ott. “Like if I’m sick I can do the test at home instead of needing to make it up.” This makes sense as paper tests usually require strict conditions to complete. They’re often to be completed within a strict time limit only inside the classroom. This can increase feelings of pressure on the students as they need to finish within the allotted time. 

Online tests on the other hand decrease the feelings of stress while taking a test. “I usually feel more relaxed taking online tests,” claims junior Dawson Ricketts. Although the general consensus among students prefers online tests, teachers still have reasons to issue paper versions. 

Paper tests are more secure and offer fewer avenues for students to cheat. Additionally, it can be helpful to have a physical test where a student can write between the margins and express their thinking. Until online tests can replicate the values offered by physical tests it’s unlikely to see any major change in the way they are taken.