Should vending machines be open during class?

Daniel Lee

Wilsonville High School has a total of five vending machines. One at the point and four next to the cafeteria.

There are many methods to sustain nourishment during school. While lunch is the designated time for eating, students may need to eat or drink within school hours. The vending machines provide a solution as students can purchase packaged food and drinks that don’t need to be prepared. The school closes these machines to students during non-lunch school hours. To many, this may seem unjust.

Nearly any student will advocate for the opening of vending machines, although the school has many valid reasons to keep them closed. Vending machines attract students to further leave their classes, (a problem the school is already fighting). Furthermore, much of the vending machines’ offerings are unhealthy, promoting a lifestyle the school doesn’t want to support.

On the contrary, students feel they should earn the right to have vending machines for all hours. Junior Elijah Rasco speaks up, “I don’t work well when I’m hungry, the vending machines can fix that.”

The prospect of vending machines may distract students from their classes. However, working while dehydrated or hungry can prove equally distracting, as well as discomforting.

Another perspective supports the opening of vending machines with the idea of freedom. “High school is about independence and learning self control, and we should be at least allowed to get food when we need to,” inquires Junior Logan Miller. Students need to learn self-control and risk-reward situations.

Buying snacks from a vending machine takes money and lessens class time, but also provides you with necessary nourishment. If a student takes too long at the vending machine and misses a large portion of class time, it could be taking away learning opportunities.