Social media within schools

Reece Buchanan

The Wilsonville Naps page has a decent following, with other Wilsonville High School Instagram accounts suggested below. Students often make the accounts on a whim, and they can quickly gain traction.

Social media is a main focus for many high school students. From Snapchat to TikTok to instagram, many teenagers use it for multiple hours a day. So how do we feel about school accounts? On Instagram, accounts like WVHS Broadcast and other student ran accounts tend to be more popular than administrative ran accounts. 

Faith Hensley, a senior, explained why she likes student-ran accounts more. She explains that, “student-ran accounts are more appealing to the students because they know more trends than school-ran ( social media accounts), and they know what the people want and what they laugh at.” Knowing your target audience at what is appealing and/or trending is key for keeping students interested. 

Cassidy Yourg, a junior, talked about the noticeable difference between student-ran school accounts vs the accounts the administrative runs. She talked about how, “they (the administrative ran accounts) tend to have more information about upcoming events while the student-ran ones are more fun to look at.” 

There were many accounts that gained popularity, especially last year, like Wilsonville Naps and Wilsonville posture. These types of accounts led students to go around to get pictures with their friends to send to these accounts. Cassidy also stated that “ the Naps account was really funny, but there haven’t been many more accounts like that this year, but student ran accounts were really fun.” 

Different types of high school accounts are really great for many different things. While administrative-ran accounts are good for getting information about upcoming sports events or dances, student-ran accounts are really fun for the students and school community. Instagram is a great way for schools to interact with their students and present new information, considering that many high school students spend a lot of their time on different social media platforms, like Instagram.