Senoritis has crept in

Seniors at WVHS share their experiences with senioritis

Emily Barry

This senior is skipping 6th period in the pointe. There is no rhyme or reason, other than his decaying motivation.

The second semester has officially begun which means June inches closer every day. Students are awaiting the sunshine and an end to the rain. Most importantly, seniors are dreaming about graduation.

As the months go on the halls start to seem quieter. There are open desks in classrooms. Traffic in the parking lot is lighter. It is senioritis. Senioritis: a decline in grades and motivation of students during their final year of high school.

This epidemic can present itself in various ways including, but not limited to missing your first-period class, leaving school early, taking an extra long lunch, or even skipping the entire school day. Some students who deal with senioritis opt for studying less, or not turning in smaller assignments.

For senior Emma Alewine, her senioritis affects her outside of school too, “besides not wanting to come to school, it’s making it hard to have motivation for things both inside and outside of school.” Alewine also mentioned that she was faced with senioritis within the first month of school, “My classes were so easy it makes it harder to come to school.”

Many students choose to take a lighter schedule during their senior year. It is a time to take the fun electives after all of your math and science credits are filled. Alewine is taking both the yearbook and leadership II classes this year among other fun classes.

Other seniors are only experiencing slight side effects from this illness. Devyn Ratter is taking her fair share of difficult classes and mentioned it has only just started affecting her classwork. “I kind of dissociate in my classes,” Ratter also mentioned how she doesn’t want to be at school all day anymore.

While these winter months are draining try to push through the pain and finish the year strong. Graduation is closer than it seems.