Free seating

Reese Buchanan, Staff Writer

When it comes to where you sit in your classes, many students prefer to pick where they would like to sit. They believe that if they get to pick who they sit by, it can help them get their class work done better, 

Abbie Memott, a junior, has similar beliefs. Memott explains that “I like choosing my seating because sometimes I can choose who I work better with, versus who I don’t work very well with.” 

When working responsibly, letting students pick where they want to sit can actually help them in the long run. They know who they work well with and can feel more comfortable asking others around them for help. 

In order for free seating to work effectively, students have to be mature enough to realize what works well and what doesn’t. Ms Armstrong, the Spanish 4 and AP Spanish teacher, went more in depth on that idea. Armstrong said that at the stat of the semester she likes to “to give students the opportunity to sit where they choose and then they get the opportunity to show me they can handle sitting next to their friends.”

Armstrong also explains that “I teach the majority of junior and seniors and I would like them to be mature enough to handle choosing their seat but if they’re off task or too distracted I’ll move them.” 

Armstrong talked about how she doesn’t necessarily want to pick students’ seats for them, but if they can’t handle choosing their seats themselves, then she will have to pick their seats for them. 

Both students and teachers believe that, especially juniors and seniors, they should be able to have the maturity level to pick where they want to sit. They should know who they work well with and who they shouldn’t be sitting by.