Soul’d Out wins first place at ICHSA northwest semi-finals

NYC, Here We Come!

Christina Katz

Soul’d Out celebrate their victory at the ICHSA competition in Salem, Oregon. The group will travel to New York in April for the national competition.

On January 26, 2018 Wilsonville High School’s a cappella group, Soul’d Out, competed at the ICHSA Northwest Semifinal. Nine groups from across the region took the stage at the Elsinore Theatre in Salem for the chance to compete at nationals in New York City. Soul’d Out opened with the contemporary pop song, Green Garden, featuring Madi Wilde as soloist. Twelve members sang the instrumental while Madi Wilde sang the solo, Lauren Dean and Natalie Fister sang an accompanying duet, and Joseph Wilde kept time as beatboxer. Kalonni Smith soloed on the next song, Brother, a slow ballad with lots of group formations as choreography. Their final song, There’s Nothing Holding Me Back, was upbeat and applause-filled as Michael Dart belted out a final show-stopping note. When commenting on his experience, Michael said, “Getting on that stage was different than any other performance experience of my life. I’m so used to the nerves, butterflies, and jitters that it felt almost wrong to walk on with confidence and a smile inside and out. I knew from as soon as we started that this year was going to be a good year. Everything leading up to that set screamed of success. We have a true and honest love for one another and I believe that is what propelled us to victory.”  As the group took their bow, the theatre filled with clapping and cheers.

After the judges’ deliberation, all of the groups stood on stage once again, awaiting the results. Third place went to Something Dangerous from McNary High School, second place to Free To Breathe from Sunset High School, and first to Soul’d Out from Wilsonville High School. Hugs and smiles filled the stage as the event drew to a close. Singers, friends, and parents stayed for hours to talk and congratulate one another. On April 20th Soul’d Out will have the opportunity to perform at Lincoln Center, but for now the group is reminiscing in the joys of performing and showing their appreciation for one another.