Assigned seating

Reese Buchanan, Staff writer

Assigned seating is a big debate across students and teachers at school. Should teachers make a seating chart where they assign seats to their students? Depending on the class, many students rather pick where they would like to sit, which is usually with their friends. 

Ms. Zolotoff, who teaches Spanish, explains how working with a lot of underclassmen affects her decision on whether to make a seating chart or not. She expresses that “I think its more necessary for students in bigger classes, also for underclassmen because they just have a different maturity and motivation level.” 

She also always lets students write down and give requests on who they would like to sit by “like I absolutely cannot sit by this person kind of situation,” Zolotoff adds. She doesn’t necessarily love assigning seats to her students, but most of the time a seating chart is needed. 

Aysha Marin, a sophmore, explains her experience with assigned seating. Marin announces that “I don’t like it because I sit next to my friends because I feel more comfortable talking to them and all my friends actually try, so it’s more beneficial when we’re not in assigned seats.” 

Marin also spoke more about how it can also depend on the class, teachers and students that are in the class. Marking goes more into details saying that “it’s like 50/50 because at times [she feels] like teachers need it because of certain groups of certain students in classrooms who are distracting and who do sit together but other times there are students who do sit by their friends and it is beneficial because they are more likely to ask questions.”

She also mentioned how different classes and different students can make a huge effect on whether or not there should be assigned seats or not.