How do students deal with the long stretch?

Alena Darmel

A student spaces out, bored with their studies. The repetitive nature of schoolwork leaves him worn out.

Is school becoming monotonous? To many WVHS students, the answer will be yes. The period from early February through spring break is viewed as the driest stretch of the year for a few reasons.

Weather is likely one of the direct causes of students’ apathy toward school right now. The weather is at its lowest point in February and March, sparing some freak snow sessions. 

Oregon currently resides in an unhappy medium between summer and spring. The wet atmosphere of spring clashes with the frigid temps and gray skies to create a dreary backdrop for studies. The Christmas magic left from winter break has worn off and the blooming spring break is seemingly miles away.

Junior Daniel Bautista commented on the long stretch saying “It feels like nothing’s happening until spring break, then we can look forward to summer.” Students often drive themselves by looking forward to the next break, bet February and march constitute the longest gap of time without an extended break. Students pray for snow days as a much-needed reprieve from the 5-day schedule.

“Right now it feels like most of my classes aren’t doing anything new,” said Junior Max Buchwald, when prompted on the state of the school. “Even AP classes have gotten monotonous.” By the time school reaches February most of the classes become somewhat predictable. The cycle of learning, practicing, then testing doesn’t offer much variability, and it is a standard formula that many classes follow. 

Learning has proven to be less engaging for many students, leading to rising phone usage. While teachers want to encourage independence in students, they also want more interaction with students. Making learning fun and useful is an obstacle that teachers try to tackle at every of schooling. But if a student is completely disinterested in the source material there is not much the teacher can do.