Wilsonville baseball: season preview

A playoff run might be a challenge with the youth of the roster

Mark+Weipert+makes+a+throw+from+third+base+in+a+baseball+game+from+last+year.+Weipert+looks+to+help+lead+Wilsonville+to+yet+another+playoff+appearance.+

Greg Artman

Mark Weipert makes a throw from third base in a baseball game from last year. Weipert looks to help lead Wilsonville to yet another playoff appearance.

As the weather starts to warm and the days become longer the spring sports at Wilsonville high school also begin. Sports such as softball, golf, tennis, lacrosse (boys and girls), track, and baseball. With so many options to choose from it is a very fun time to be an athlete at Wilsonville.

The baseball team had a heart wrenching loss last year as the fell in the semi finals against the eventual champs in Crescent Valley. With Wilsonville losing the majority of last years roster questions have been swirling around what this years squad can look like.

With just two seniors on the roster for Wilsonville and not very many returning guys on the roster manager Bryn Card has some interesting decisions to make if this Wilsonville squad wants to make a playoff run. Those two returning seniors are Jacob Ogden and Will Hemsley, both looking to play important leadership roles for Wilsonville.

As for the underclassmen returning junior Justin Schramm will play the role of ace for the Wilsonville pitching staff, winning the NWOC pitcher of the year last year. Berkley Reents started for the first part of last season before his year was cut short due to an arm injury, he will play a key role in the infield for the Wildcats as a junior.

Wade Hagey played a key role for Wilsonville coming off the bench and providing great defense at first base looks to lock down a starting role in his sophomore season. The other returning sophomore for the Wildcats is Mark Weipert who will primarily play catcher. He is a serious threat in the middle of the order for Wilsonville, as well as a great defensive piece.

The rest of the roster is made up of many unknown pieces making their way up from JV trying to carve out roles on the Varsity level. Sophomore Andrew Hall looks to make a name for himself in the outfield. Meanwhile the Larson twins hope to have breakout seasons at the plate and make a big impact for the next couple years. Kheller Larson had this to say about how this group is feeling headed into the year “we feel optimistic we know we are a young group but we believe we have a lot of talent.”

When Larson was later asked about the goals that Wilsonville has coming into this year he replied “we want to stay consistent not have it be a roller coaster ride be nice and steady the whole year.”

It should be an exciting season for Wilsonville baseball who look to finally break through as it comes playoff time in the 5A bracket.