Advice from upperclassmen: maintaining good relationships with teachers

Seniors dish on tips for how to create and maintain relationships with teachers.

Liza+Locke+%28right%29+poses+with+Ms.+West+%28left%29+this+year+on+twin+Tuesday.+Locke+mentioned+that+Ms.+West+is+her+favorite+teacher+this+year.+

Liza Locke

Liza Locke (right) poses with Ms. West (left) this year on twin Tuesday. Locke mentioned that Ms. West is her favorite teacher this year.

Senior year comes around and suddenly you need a letter of recommendation. Only there is one problem. You don’t have anyone to write it for you, and a daunting reality emerges. There is so much that students can do to prevent this from happening.

As students, we have always been taught to respect our teachers and all of the arduous work they perform. It can also be really beneficial to build relationships with them. The easiest way to start is by paying attention and being actively engaged during class.

Both Liza Locke and Mia Rust are seniors and needed letters of recommendation for college next year. Luckily, they had teachers they knew would be reliable options. Locke mentioned, “Having good relationships with teachers makes learning so much more fun, and your classes feel less boring when you like your teacher.”

Senior Mia Rust agreed with Liza Locke that when you enjoy the teacher, you get more out of the class, “Having a good relationship with your teacher makes the experience so much more enjoyable for yourself and the teacher.”

Rust left her advice for getting on a teacher’s good side, “Ask a lot of good questions and pay attention.” She also added, “Teachers want to help you learn and help prepare you for college.” As for maintaining these relationships, Rust said that the first step is just showing up to class and bringing a positive attitude.

Maintaining relationships with your teachers is even harder if you only have them for one year. Seniors recommend stopping by their room and saying “Hi” when you get the chance. Keep them updated about your interests especially if you took something big out of their class.

Students at Wilsonville High School have multiple different teachers each year. That means that if you aren’t clicking with one teacher, you will find one that can fit your learning style. In the meantime, be respectful and friendly to your teachers, you never know what can come from it.