Juniors hard at work

Many juniors at WVHS work at Baskin Robbins. Would a potential union make sense?

Many Wilsonville High School juniors are feeling the stress of juggling work and school as they continue their junior year. For many students, this can be a difficult period,d since they must balance the responsibilities of their part-time work with their academic obligations.

Time management is one of the main difficulties in juggling academics and employment. Part-time employees must learn how to prioritize their academic work and make sure they have enough time to finish projects and prepare for tests. Due to the fact that juniors frequently enroll in more difficult classes and start studying for standardized exams like the SAT, ACT, or various AP tests.

Junior Clayton Troha commented on his job: “I’m fortunate enough to work at Baskin Robbins with some of my friends. We help each other out, when one person has a busy week others can pick up their slack at work, we could even form a union if we want.” Clayton and his friends took a unique approach to their jobs, with a community-centered mindset.   

Another challenge is the mental and emotional strain of juggling school and work. Students who work part-time often experience fatigue and stress from trying to manage multiple responsibilities. This can lead to a lack of sleep, poor nutrition, and a reduced ability to concentrate, all of which can impact academic performance in school or physical performance in sports.

Despite these challenges, many students find that balancing schoolwork with a job can be a valuable experience. It can help them develop important skills such as time management, communication, and teamwork, as well as further their resume for college. 

Additionally, working part-time provides students with their own personal income that can be spent as preferred without any caveats. “Sometimes I get frustrated and want to quit my job at Jimmy John’s, but the paychecks usually change my mind,” said Junior Isiaha Ulrich, an employee for a year. 

Students should prioritize their time and make sure to plan time for both school and work obligations in order to properly juggle different aspects of life. If that isn’t possible, request assistance when necessary, they should also speak with their employers and professors.

There can be a lot of strain while juggling jobs and education, especially for juniors. However, students can successfully manage both duties and gain useful experience and skills in the process, with proper time management and communication.