Girls varsity lacrosse wraps up season

Wilsonville scores at Oregon City.

Greg Artman

Wilsonville scores at Oregon City.

Girls’ lacrosse has officially come to an end. After a home game loss to OES, Wilsonville has been knocked out of the playoffs. While the varsity team did not win the championships this year, there were plenty of other accomplishments that were made that are worth highlighting.

The recent loss came as a surprise to many Wilsonville fans as the Wildcats had a near-perfect non-league season. The Wildcats in the non-league season beat Bend High School, Tualatin High School, Corvallis High School, Newberg High School, and Central Catholic. The only team that Wilsonville lost to in the non-league games, being against Grants Pass.

Unfortunately, the league season has not been as easy as anticipated for the Wildcats, with the Wildcats going 4-9 in the league. The Wildcats won against Oregon City twice, with the first game scoring 10 to 6 and the second game scoring 16 to 4. The other team the girl’s lacrosse team won against was Clackamas High School, where they won against them twice (14-5 and 19-3).

The losses for the Wildcats have unfortunately knocked them out of playoffs. After losing to Lakeridge, Lake Oswego, St. Marry, and West Linn in both games in the league season, the most recent game against OES was the final nail in the coffin this season.

The good news is despite the loss this season the resolve of the Wilsonville girl’s lacrosse team is still strong. We reached out to Taylor Smith and Bianca Pinoli to get their final thoughts on the season. Smith said about her teammates, “I think our five seniors were really positive and kept the team together, and even on the hard games they were really good.”

For the final interview, we asked about the team’s greatest achievements this season. Pinole responded, “I think that our team’s greatest accomplishment was the relationships that we built with each other. We won together and we also lost together which brought us close. Our ages and skill level didn’t affect our relationships and we all grew to be sisters.” Overall this season was a great example of the Wilsonville spirit and we look forward to seeing their return in the 2024 season.