Meet the new Drama Club student board

Katherine Beaver
The Drama Club board members pose in front of the new Wilsonville High School performing arts center (Left to right: Kate Thomas, Maximus Werner, Lucy Neron, Xander Povey, Grace Haack).

As a new school year begins at Wilsonville High School, the school’s arts program is being presented with many exciting changes. Along with the new performing arts center and black box theater, students who partake in the dramatic arts program can anticipate exciting new leadership to be found within the Drama Club’s student board. On August 25, the new board members discussed upcoming plans and how they hope to make an impact on the program this year.

One common thread you can find between all members of the new Drama Club board is a love for the performing arts and a passion for serving the community. Kate Thomas, Drama Club publicist, says her passion for performing began when she was a child; “I grew up with [performing]…so us, as a community, getting together to create this big, beautiful show, no matter what it be, is just so amazing to me.” Thomas hopes to expand upon this sense of community in the future, and this hopefulness is seen within each member of the board.

Inclusivity and accessibility was a prevalent topic throughout this meeting, and the group had big ideas pertaining to these ideals. In the 2022/2023 school year, Drama Club was sadly not made accessible to students who chose to participate in other school organization meetings such as the Black Student Union or MEChA, as all of these clubs met on Thursdays at lunch. This schedule overlap resulted in a noticeable lack of diversity in the Drama Club – an issue that the new board members are working hard to resolve. The board is very focused on making sure everyone who chooses to be involved in the dramatic arts program has a safe community in which they feel welcomed.

Promoting effective communication is at the forefront of creating a welcoming environment within the Drama Club. When John Fitzgerald, one of the faculty members who oversees the club and related theater activities, inquired about what the board members believe is crucial for good communication, each student expressed their own ideas, contributing unique suggestions. Xander Povey, the president, emphasized body language: “Your body is pointed towards [the speaker], your face is towards [the speaker] – it helps to know that people are listening.” Maximus Werner, vice president, values honesty in communication: “If you don’t agree with me or have a different opinion, I want to hear what you have to think about it.” Grace Haack, responsible for student outreach, values feedback; Lucy Neron, archivist, believes that in group discussions, everyone should be granted the opportunity to express their thoughts without interruption.

The Drama Club board members of this school year are palpably enthused to begin their work and strengthen the dramatic arts program. There are a lot of big ideas to be found in this group of students, and a strong passion to reach their goals. With this new leadership, the Drama Club certainly has a bright future ahead of them in the 2023/2024 school year.