Heads up high school! The freshmen have arrived

Above%2C+hundreds+of+incoming+freshmen+gather+outside+Wilsonville+High+School+after+orientation+to+celebrate%0A+the+coming+year+with+pizza.+
Avery Eckley
Above, hundreds of incoming freshmen gather outside Wilsonville High School after orientation to celebrate the coming year with pizza.

Freshman year evokes excitement and anxiety, but Wilsonville High School makes for a welcoming environment as new students pour into the halls and refill classrooms. New to the structure and community, WHS holds an orientation run by Link Crew members for incoming freshmen. Students tour the campus and get to know one another through their Life 101 class groups before starting classes.

Having just graduated middle school, some freshmen assume they run the school, while others feel intimidated by the term “high school.” Incoming freshman, Talia Tiano claims she doesn’t feel nervous about starting school and shares that she looks forward to football games and making friends. 

Other students agree with Tiano that high school probably isn’t as scary as people say. Jackson Coleman states, “Everyone is in the same boat.” Liam Gilmore adds, “Don’t worry and know that things will get better. Just pay attention and work hard.” 

Most high schoolers agree that friends are crucial. Sharing this point of view, Ty Dougal mentions, “I’m excited to hang out and be a part of sports. Having siblings already in high school makes me feel more confident.”

Conversely, some incoming freshmen feel nervous about starting at Wilsonville. “I feel nervous about the workload,” Morgan Christiensen admits. Two Ortez also recognizes, “I’m nervous about other people.” Although it may seem daunting, don’t be afraid to act boldly and reach out to new peers and classmates. Most upperclassmen willingly give advice to the freshmen and sophomores who ask.

Whether it be joining a club, participating in the school musical, making a sports team, or cheering through every home game, find a way to get involved. Freshman Avery Novitsky has heard the tried and true statement: “Just have fun, it goes by fast!” However, Jaelyn Schween also reminds all students to “put school first.” Freshman year is important and sets the foundation for future careers and college.

Staying organized, understanding procrastination, remaining focused, getting involved, aiming for achievement, and being present throughout high school will help ensure a smoother journey. Through new routines, rules, and expectations, stress is bound to be felt amongst the student body. High school arouses many big changes but is also a memorable four years. 

Navigating friendships, academics, sports, and extracurricular activities, and surviving through it all will be a challenge, but this year’s freshmen class is more than ready to face it head-on.