New phone guidelines celebrate their first day of school

Ethan Spisak
At Wilsonville, phones are now only permitted to be used during non-class hours. Students use their phones during lunch to catch up on anything they missed during class.

Going into the 2023-2024 school year, phone expectations will be wound tighter. Wilsonville High School wants to try a new beginning by focusing on a “Present for Learning” model, which includes not being on phones during class. New regulations state that “Phones are required to be in the designated classroom pocket or away in the student’s backpack during class time.” 

That being said, phone usage is not completely banned from WHS, students are still allowed to use them during non-class time (lunch, passing period, before/after school). As the new phone policies are coming into play, two students have shared their opinions on phone usage and what they think these rules can do for our school.

An incoming freshman uses their phone in class for an ambiance. For in-class phone usage, they said, “I only use it to play music because it helps me focus.” They consider phones to increase their concentration, “it’s kind of hard for me to focus in silence,” they added.

Elie Katz, a returning sophomore, finds themself not using their phone a lot during class. She says “I normally don’t use my phone much and you can get just as distracted by your computer. It’s just kind of a matter of self-control.”

Although the two have different ideas and uses for their phones during class, in the end, they both agree on how effective these rules may be. The aforementioned freshman stated, “Some kids will find a way to be distracted no matter what you do.”

Katz also believes that although the rules may help a few folks, “People will always find ways to be distracted by a plethora of things, and you can’t just keep taking away things to fix the issue. If people want to mentally disconnect and not pay attention, they will.”

Only time will tell if the new regulations are an improvement or not to our school, but for now, every student is expected to be off their phones and focused in class.