Freshman first impressions

Lily Arzie
Freshman students gather in Mr. Fitzgerald’s journalism class to hunker down on school work. They are excited to see what the school year brings.

The first day of school brings out a mosaic of feelings. Some of which are joyous, while others are agonizing. However, this year’s freshmen are boldly stepping into a new light, and one they aren’t used to.

With the year’s schedule adjustment from 6 periods to 8, approaching a school year can be harrowing. Zoey McClain, a freshman, expressed her slight worry about stabilizing her schedule efficiently, but once the first week set in, she was appreciative for the diversified layout of classes and “having different schedules each day.”

McClain additionally added that it’s been “pretty welcoming,” and the atmosphere was less threatening than she had expected it to be. McClain hopes to establish a comfortable liaison with WHS.

Delaney Donegan, now a freshman, had a few conundrums on the first day of school, and disregarding the dreaded search for new class, she said the first day “wasn’t that bad.”

Donegan also touched on the benefits of the new A and B schedule the school has enforced. Because classes alternate, there is an extra day in between classes to solidify confusing concepts and complete homework. Donegan finds great help in this change because she typically finds herself “do[ing] homework at night.”

Taylor Wells, a freshman, thinks that a crucial component of a school day is her lunch period. She noted that lunch not only serves as an opportunity to refuel following a gruesome first half of the day but to also congregate with your friends and “be with them all.”

On a separate note, Wells noticed the hardened expectation behind grading at WHS compared to her middle school, saying “It’s more important than it was in middle school,” and retrospectively crucial for years to come.

From playground swings to diligent middle school mathematics, freshmen have finally arrived at their final quest before adulthood. Although ever-changing environments may seem dire, the class of 2027 is here to stay.