Spring Break is for relaxing!

Our student life editor meditates on the meaning of Spring Break

Photo from pixabay

Spring break dreams

Being a senior at Wilsonville High School I have always seen spring break as the last escape of the school year. The many breaks of the winter have passed on this week long vacation is our last chance before 2 and a half straight months of school.

Over the years the spring break anticipation has evolved.

Freshman year it was quite simple, a week somewhere sunny and playing catch up, or at least pretending to until the Sunday then scrambling at the last second to finish what I have been putting off for a week.

Sophomore year was similar but there was more of this idea of what the future holds. Some friends were off touring colleges while I was exploring Seattle.

Junior year rolled around and never had I ever had a busier week. Being a junior and having college be the focus of my mind I visited as many colleges that I could. I flew to Boston and visited 5 schools and 6 states. Then I choose to fly to Arizona for my last 4 days of freedom.

This spring break is different. I am still going to Arizona and soaking up as much sun as I possibly can, however reflecting on the past 3 years I know this spring break will never be enough. I as a planner will always try to cram as much as I can to prep myself for the future into these days of no commitments. With just two months of school left once I get back what is there to prep for? My grades are where they should be and I know where I will be going after high school. This spring break needs to be what it was originally planned for, a break.

Many students have lost the importance of this break. A week to allow yourself to relax and rejuvenate your mind. Spring Break shouldn’t be about how much I can do in a week to plan out the rest of my life but to savor the moment. It should be about spending time with the people I love and focusing on what makes me happy.

This break is only a week and meant to supply us with enough time to focus on ourselves for us to come back to school as better people. These last few months will be the hardest. Not necessarily for academic rigor but the intensity of it being my last days as a high schooler. These moments should be cherished in a fresh mind and positive outlook.