Preview: Wilsonville vs. West Linn

Girls soccer looks for revenge against 6A TRL opponent West Linn.
GM Artman
Senior Kenley Whittaker attempts a shot on goal vs. Lake Oswego. Photo provided by Greg Artman.

This upcoming Wednesday, Wilsonville girls’ soccer looks for success against cross-town and inter-school district rivals, the West Linn Lions. The Wildcats currently sit 2-1 this season, with a proving win against last year’s semi-finalist squad Caldera, a loss to TRL opponent Lake Oswego, and a blowout win over Woodburn.

In last year’s matchup with the Lions, Wilsonville ended up losing a close game 2-1 at West Linn. However, in 2021, the Wildcats topped the Lions at home behind a strong senior group, starring Lindsey Antonson among others. If history says anything, the Wildcats should have a strong chance this year in hosting the Lions behind yet another strong senior group of girls.

West Linn sits undefeated having yet to give up a goal this year. After asking Senior Lorianne Servignat whether there was any pressure going into the matchup, she respected the West Linn group. Servignat stated, “I think there is a little pressure, and it could go a lot of ways, but West Linn is a really good team.”

Although the Lions look great through the first few games, they are coming off the injury of senior star Kate Cheldelin. It is doubtful that Cheldelin will be ready for action in tomorrow’s game against the Wildcats.

In an interview with senior forward Bri Crane, she emphasized a pair of game goals that would be vital for the Cats’ chances of success tomorrow. She stated that “…finishing our chances and covering each other…” would be a major focal point. With the Wildcats having given one to TRL opponent Lake Oswego, they are excited for the opportunity for revenge against another TRL opponent in West Linn.

Tomorrow night’s game will be hosted by the Wildcats in the famous Randall stadium at 7:00 pm. It is highly encouraged that students of Wilsonville shall attend. With there being no other sporting games going on, attendance should be substantial for the non-league matchup.