Model United Nations prepares for the 2018 conference

Photo from creative commons

The flag of the United Nations

Oregon Model UN is when schools from all over Oregon pick countries and debate their issues. At Wilsonville High School, they chose four specific countries: Syria, Zimbabwe, Sierra Leone, and Austria. Students in the club are either delegates or ambassadors. The ambassadors are the general council; they don’t create solutions, but they do vote. Those who are delegates are an individual specialized group, like a committee. They are the ones that do create solutions and talk about certain issues or topics.  

On April 12, 2018, students from the club will attend the University of Oregon Model UN committee conference. The conference will last for 3 days and gives students to address world issues, debate and vote. Before being able to go, the participants will first have to write two papers about a topic that interests them and then go through a credential, which is like an interview. Since this is the only event that the Model UN get to go to, they prepare themselves all year to make sure they are fully ready.

The main purpose for Model UN is for kids to really know their surroundings, to be politically involved, and to substance a debate, but overall it’s to have fun and to grow a connection with people who share different ideas.