Despite multiple starters out, Wilsonville JV Football outlasts Hood River Valley

Wilsonville JV Football remains undefeated.
GM Artman
Biz Nieuwstraten flees defender with ball in hands. Biz was essential in the win over Hood River last week. Photo provided by Greg Artman.

The Wilsonville boys JV football team walked into Randall Stadium Monday, October 2nd, undefeated and with four wins on the season. However, this game seemed to be a bit off. Wilsonville was missing four starting players heading into kickoff. As if missing players weren’t enough, with rain pouring sideways, the Cats had weather challenges to face as well. Rain isn’t necessarily ideal for the Wildcat’s air-raid offense and shotgun snap tendencies.

One of those players, starting center Brixton Carpenter, was out with illness in Monday’s game. Replacement center Charlie Nelson was interviewed following Monday’s win over Hood River Valley. Nelson stated, “I was a little nervous, but the coaches helped us with the plays.” Nelson, when asked about his performance, replied, “Yeah, I played well, only one bad snap.” Surely, the genetics are on the young JV center’s side, as he is the younger brother of senior varsity center Maxwell Nelson.

Although Hood River Valley competed with the Cats early in the game, Wilsonville pulled ahead late in the second quarter when quarterback Trevor Glos rolled out left and connected with receiver Biz Nieuwstraten in the end zone.

Biz Nieuwstraten explained, “I was happy for my teammates; I couldn’t have scored without them.” After the successful point-after attempt, Wilsonville went up 14-6 with under 2 minutes left in the half. The score remained as the halftime buzzer sounded.

After halftime, Wilsonville soared to a 41-18 victory. Even though the Wildcats finished on top, Quarterback Trevor Glos went down with a concussion just shortly after his touchdown heave to Biz Nieuwstraten. Replacement quarterback Luke Carli took control despite the unexpectedness of being behind the snap, rushing for three touchdowns in the second half.

Post-game, Biz Nieuwstraten was immediately focused on next week’s game against Hillsboro. “They are the best team we will play this year. We will be ready for them.”

The Wildcats are 5-0 on the season and will face Hillsboro at Randall Stadium on Monday, October 9th at 6:00 pm.