What students want from art class

Ashley Sheirbon
Two first year 2D art students working on their current assignment. The skills they learn will serve them for a lifetime.

Wilsonville High School offers more than eight art classes, and students of all grade levels can pick a class to take. We have many amazing art teachers with so much knowledge to give out to these students, so what do they want to get out of the classes? What is the real reason students are picking these classes?

Senior Maximus Werner is taking first-year 2D art with Ms. Factor. Werner says that he is taking this class because he “likes to express himself in every way possible,” and taking this art class is “adding to my passion of expression” through the different art forms.

Art classes are taken seriously by some students, and some take it just for the art credit. But art can be therapeutic for a lot of people, and it can help with their self-expression. Students can expand on their skills by taking these classes and finding new ways to convey their identities.

All grade levels are included in these art classes, and there are no restrictions on who can be included in the lessons. Freshman Evelyn Johnson is in first-year 2D art as well and has been doing art her whole life. Evelyn says, “I want to improve on my basic skills and better understand color theory” to become the best artist she can be.

Students want to improve their skills in these classes, learn about the base of all art skills, and be able to expand on these skills as they move up in art levels. They want to be able to use these classes to express themselves through the artistic medium and use the class as a way to relieve stress.

All in all, in their art classes, students want a calm learning environment and a safe place where they can express themselves and still learn the skills that they can use throughout their entire artistic careers.