Beloved (and hated) book adaptations

Ethan Spisak
The Wilsonville High School library, within it you can find many of these TV adaptations. Books such as “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” and “A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder, however most are checked out quite constantly.

When a new book receives mountains of popularity, the question always comes up… Will this become a TV adaptation? TV adaptations are a phenomenon where a book with enough fans (and enough cash can flow from the production of it) becomes a movie or TV series. 

With these productions, people have a lot of opinions. There are people who’ve read the book or watched the movie and don’t care. In another category, there are hard-core fans who’ve waited their whole lives for their favorite book to get adapted. And finally, the haters who only watch the movies due to their despise of the original media.

Some book-to-movie/series productions would be the “Good Omens” TV series, “Nimona,” and the up-and-coming “A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder.”

Elliot Porter is a hater, not at heart, but for the “Percy Jackson and the Lighting Thief” adaptation. Their loathing of the movie stems from the fact that “it’s just not good, it was really bad. I remember the emotions I felt while watching it, which was that I hated it.” They also felt that it had “None of the plotlines from the book.” The movie encompasses some aspects of the book but leaves out many key plot points.

Ellie Crouch has only love in her heart for the very recent “Nimona” adaptation. She described that it has “Good representation, bro, honestly.” The movie includes many different aspects of life that Crouch felt she could relate to.

Crouch also has a love for the book, “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” which in 2022 was approved for a movie. New and old fans alike are excited to see the world of Evelyn Hugo come to life, some also being a bit nervous. Crouch explains, “I’m scared because there’s, like, nobody like Evelyn; she’s supposed to be perfect, apparently. I’m afraid it’ll turn out really bad.”

While Crouch feels nervous, Taylor Nichols feels more confident in the production of one of her favorites, “A Good Girl’s Gide to Murder” which is receiving a TV show in the near future. Nichols stated, “I’m not very nervous because the author is in charge of everything, and all the casting is really well done.” 

Book-to-TV adaptations come with both good and bad; even still, haters and lovers have to accept that as long as books are written, they will be made into adaptations that everyone will have something to say about.