Wilsonville volleyball looks to finish regular season strong against league rivals

Wilsonville has just two games left in their regular season, both pivotal for their league title hopes.
GM Artman
Cammy Gore serves in a Wilsonville win earlier in the year. Gore has been a key setter for a Wilsonville squad, which looks to have a strong finish to their regular season. Photo provided by Greg Artman.

The Wilsonville volleyball team is on the edge of winning yet another NWOC title with just a pair of contests left before the playoffs start. Wilsonville has had an exceptional year so far with a (14-0) league record and a (16-5) overall record.

However, a sizeable road block in the form of the La Salle Falcons stand in the way of the Wildcats ending their regular season on a high note. Wilsonville will take on their competitive NWOC rival on Thursday in hopes of clinching another conference championship, the caveat obviously being if they lose, the most likely scenario would be the two 5A powerhouses sharing the title of NWOC champs.

La Salle has had an impressive year themselves with a (13-1) league record (the only loss being to Wilsonville) and a (17-7) overall record. In their first meeting, the game went down to the wire with Wilsonville eventually coming out of the brawl with the hard fought victory in five sets.

Olivia Lyons spoke on the importance of taking down La Salle, “We need to bring our best game to every match, they are very good competition and we work hard in practice every day to beat teams like them.”

Though La Salle is arguably the most important game left on the regular season schedule for Wilsonville, the final game of their season should not be overlooked. On October 23rd Wilsonville will host Centennial on the Wildcats Senior night. If the Wildcats do beat La Salle on Thursday they will have the league title in hand, but Wilsonville has much higher aspirations then a league championship.

If Wilsonville wants to be considered a serious state championship contender they will need to take care of business against a playoff caliber Eagles team on what will no doubt be an emotional night.

Cammy Gore illustrates the importance of not only their final two games of the regular season but also preparing for the playoffs. “For the rest of the year we are battling for state against competitive teams. These games will get us ready for what’s ahead, and we need to focus on one at a time”

It is an exciting time around Wilsonville High School as the fall sports start to wind down and the weather starts to get colder, which means that playoff season is upon us and this Wilsonville group has high expectations for November.