Boy’s volleyball recognized as “emerging activity”

GM Artman
Ellis passes the ball to Emma Fauth in the season opener. The girls team has an outstanding record, and the potential boys team will have a lot to live up to. Photo provided by Greg Artman.

The OSAA commission recently came together to discuss a sport that has been making waves across Oregon’s high school sports landscape. Many advocates came together to discuss the addition of boy’s volleyball to the roster of OSAA sports. On Monday, October 9, the OSAA Commission officially announced boys volleyball as an emerging activity.

“Well, an emerging activity for OSAA is a sport that is on the cusp of becoming another official OSAA sport. So it’s not like football and baseball that are under the OSAA umbrella. Boys volleyball is one that isn’t quite there yet,” stated Josh Davis, athletic director at Wilsonville High School.

Mr. Davis expressed an interest in involving the High School, even stating that it might be tested out this spring. “We’ve been thinking about testing it out as early as this spring, and it would stay as a spring sport even past that.”

Still, not much is known what boys volleyball, but students at Wilsonville are very intrigued by the idea. Sophomore Jre Siminia had this to say about his interest in boy’s volleyball: “I’ve been doing volleyball for a while, I think it’s really fun, and I’ve wanted a program for the high school.”

Jre stated that he likes to play volleyball outside at the Villebois volleyball pits with his friends and family. “I have relatives that are really good, and they teach me a lot about it.” Jre plays football and basketball at the high school, and he is excited to add volleyball to that mix.

The difficulty with adding another boy’s sport comes with an imbalance of boy’s and girl’s sports at the school. “One of my concerns is adding another boy’s sport and not having another girl’s sport to go along with it and even the opportunities out,” stated Mr. Davis

Whether or not boys volleyball becomes an official OSAA sport, Wilsonville is happy to bring the sport and its new opportunities into the school.