2023 Fall Broadcast Report

A graph breaking down the live views of Wilsonville’s fall sports. Graph provided by author.
Oliver Latta

Fall is a fantastic time for sports, and Wilsonville High School offers football, boys and girls soccer, and volleyball. After excellent game coverage during the first quarter, broadcasts of all these fall sports will continue into November before the winter season begins.

Out of all the sports, football has had the most overall viewers and has been the most watched event. The varsity football game between Wilsonville and Summit was the event with the most viewers this season, with 332 views for the whole football program (including JV). 

Of the views this season, 54.2% were for football. Football game commentators Jack Jensen and Alex Derlago have superbly brought well-utilized observations and remarks to the games they have broadcasted.

Boys soccer has also had a fantastic turnout in terms of viewers, with their most-watched game being a 1-7 loss against La Salle Prep with 130 total viewers. Jack Jensen, who has handled most of the soccer broadcasts this season, has dominated the coverage of boys’ soccer. 

This autumn, 8.4% of all views have been accounted for by boys soccer. With a few games left, the boys’ regular season will end this week as they attempt to secure a playoff spot. Their final home game will be on Thursday, October 26.

Girls soccer has attracted 206 viewers so far this season, and their mid-season victory over 6A Tualatin with 109 viewers was their most-watched game. 15.2% of all fall season views have been of girls’ soccer. 

These games have been intense and well-covered, thanks to students like Jack Jensen, Trenton Bonfiglio, and Kate Gore as the girls soccer team attempts to secure a top spot in their playoff bracket. On the 26th, they will go to Canby to wrap up their regular season.

Volleyball, the sole indoor sport during the fall season, has 164 spectators (including JV). 3.1% of all views during the fall season have been for volleyball. On Monday, September 23, volleyball plays Centennial in the final game of their outstanding league season. 

Although this year has been successful, it has yet to reach the numbers that last year did. WBN looks forward to basketball season in hopes of bringing the tally of viewers to the previous year’s numbers and also hopes to exceed past numbers next year.

It has been a fantastic fall sports season, with a total of 2,046 views, and this outstanding broadcasting team hopes to continue being outstanding as we enter the fall sports playoffs. We anticipate the upcoming winter basketball season for both boys and girls to be exciting. 

The boys basketball team looks to follow up an extremely successful season, winning state last year and five out of the previous seven years! On the other hand, girls basketball lost in the first round of the playoffs, and they look to go farther into the playoffs this year. 

To watch any of these games, visit their on-demand broadcasts on nfhs.org. Tune in weekly to see the rest of the regular season and playoff games broadcasted by the excellent crew of WBN announcers.