Back to the past, Halloween edition!

Ethan Spisak
Grace Ferguson and Jay Klepper find themselves thoroughly spooked at a terrifying scare. The two share similar reactions.

As Halloween approaches soon, rather than focusing on the present, a deep dive into the past is truly needed. Most spend these weeks, or days as if they’re in a time crunch, stressing about what a perfect outfit could be. Then those outfits are only shown the light of day for a couple of days at most. The celebration of them should be able to continue even years later. 

Ian Cook, a junior, talks about how his celebration of the holiday was not very apparent until about two years ago. After a little time spent thinking, he came to the conclusion that his favorite past costume was “I’d have to say, my scrubs. I had them for work.” A very interesting costume, some may say, bringing your own workplace into Halloween truly is a terrifying idea.

Emery Olivarez, a sophomore, shares that her favorite would have to be “probably when I was a cat.” Which she believes first debuted at the age of ten. Adding on, she explains, “I was a cat multiple times. I was also a witch multiple times.” A clear example of costumes getting celebrated more than once, these two costumes being highlighted over the span of years.

Mia Evans, a freshman, originally thought her best costume would be the one from this year, a sparkly alien from the who-knows-where planet; however, after letting it simmer for a bit, she realized the costume that beats the rest was actually more magical. She states, “I was a mushroom princess in, like, sixth grade. I made myself a mushroom hat from scratch, and it was pretty sick!” 

People put all sorts of effort into their costumes, lots of it, little amounts of it. Even more, the reason to think about them long after. Halloween is a time for creativity in the sense of everything scary. Don’t stress and have fun. Happy Halloween!