It’s a candy cornundrum

Sydney Hanson
Are you a corn lover or hater? Is a cornspiracy is among us? Image created by the author.

Candy corn, it’s a sensitive debate. Either you love it, or you hate it: one side of the argument is the die-hard candy corn lovers, and the other side is strongly opposed to the pyramid-shaped tri-colored candy. 

Candy corn has been a Halloween staple since the 1950s. It was first named chicken feed in the 1880s and was popularized by the Jelly Belly candy company.  After the increase in the popularity of corn during WW1, candy corn became the hallmark of Halloween, as it is today. 

Freshman Julie Murray isn’t a fan of the candy. “When I think of Halloween, I think of Halloween parties and costumes, not candy corn. It just kind of tastes gross. I don’t like it. I don’t hold anything against anyone who likes candy corn, though.” 

While many think it’s gross, sophomore Owen Feinblatt thinks candy corn is delicious. “Candy corn is a very debated topic amongst the younger demographic. My opinion on the debate is that candy corn is really good. Candy corn isn’t about eating it to quench your hunger. It just tastes like fall.”

Others stay more neutral surrounding the topic and don’t sway too much one way or the other. This has turned out to be a pretty unpopular idea, with most people having strong opinions on whether they like it or not.

Spencer Black, a sophomore, stays neutral about the debate, describing that “Candy corn isn’t that bad. It’s an acceptable Halloween candy.” He explains that he doesn’t judge anyone for loving it or hating it, and he can respect other people’s views about it.

Most students stay pretty divided about the controversial subject. While some stay more in-between on the topic, most seem pretty one-sided. Even though many students can’t agree, most seem like they can somewhat agree to disagree.