Wilsonville Volleyball doing big things

GM Artman
Wilsonville Volleyball celebrates their first round win over Mountain View. Wilsonville will play Crater at Forest Grove High School on Friday at 10am. Photo provided by Greg Artman.

Girls Volleyball looks to make a statement as an underdog team going into the 2023 State Tournament. The Cats took on the 11th-ranked Mountain View Cougars in 5A for the round of 16 on October 28th, and it was a grueling battle.

With all three sets remaining very close and tight (26-24, 25-23, 25-20), Wilsonville came out with the win advancing to the State Championships.

On Friday, November 3rd, they will take on the 3rd-ranked Crater Comets. With the Cats learning to adapt to many injuries, a huge loss that affected the 2023 season was in the second game of the year when middle blocker Sophia Brandes suffered from an ACL tear. Quickly, they had position switches and had to work quickly to get the Wilsonville volleyball team back to what it was known as.

Brandes has a new perspective on how the game works and is played. She states, “Sitting on the sideline has allowed me to appreciate the energy on both the court and the bench.” “Being a part of a varsity team isn’t just about how well you perform; it’s also about how you can support your teammates in a constructive way,” she adds.

With the absence of Brandes, the Tigard transfer, Emma Fauth has bravely stepped in to fill that role. Leading the team in Kills with 152 and 47 blocks, she is a force to be reckoned with. Fauth has played middle in the past at Tigard, so her knowledge is quite high. She brings a strong presence to the Cats this season, and it is undeniable.

Middle blocker Olivia Lyons, a crucial part of Wilsonville’s offense, has tallied 126 kills and has the highest hitting percentage on the team with a .316%. Lyons knows how to put a ball away.

Going into the tournament, Lyons believes that “Our team needs to take one game at a time and have the mindset that we will win, but not in a cocky way. It is important that we have confidence and bring our best game going into state,”

Wilsonville Volleyball should be on people’s radars because they do not go down without a fight. Join the cats at Forest Grove on November 3rd and 4th to watch them compete for the 2023 5A Volleyball State Title.