Spring sport athletes sign to play in college

Student athletes representing their future college

On Tuesday May 1st, seven of our student athletes signed to compete at the collegiate level. Of the five baseball players that signed; four will be playing at the community college level and one at the division three level. Ben VavRosky will continue his pitching career at Cal Lutheran in Southern California. Halden Bjornson and Eric Hill will be playing at Linn Benton Community College in Albany, while Adam Stevens and Austin Tacla at Mt. Hood Community College in Gresham.

Vavrosky said his greatest individual contribution to his high school baseball team was, “showing up to practice and games ready to compete.” He is looking forward to “facing tough competition and making a ton of new friends” while in college. Ben’s favorite high school baseball experience was, “going to Arizona his junior year with the team. This year we created strong friendships on and off of the field.” Good luck to these five baseball players as they move onto the next chapter in their lives.  

For our women athletes, Marisa Meyer and Sierra Bishop committed to compete at the next level.

Meyer will extend her track and field career at George Fox University. Marisa has had a very successful track season thus far. At the Wilsonville Invitational on April 21st, she broke the long jump record for Wilsonville High School with an amazing jump of 17’ 6’’. She is currently standing  2nd in the state in the long jump and will be competing for the state title May 18th and 19th.

Bishop signed to participate on the rowing team at Oregon State University. Sierra has never rowed before, but got the opportunity to join the team due to her height and athleticism. She will be contending at the division I level, which is a dream of hers for as long as she can remember. On top of a rowing scholarship, she was accepted into the OSU Honors College to study business.

Congratulations to all of our student athletes. As spring sports are coming to a close, please make sure to support your seniors and their teams in the final games and matches of the year. Check OSAA for official game schedules and results. Go cats!