The effect that the lack of substitute teachers can have on educators

A pie chart statistical representation of teacher responses about the issue of substitutes. Out of 38 district-wide responses, 44.7% of teachers answered “frequently,” when asked how often during a school year they felt the pressure of having limited subs willing and able to teach. Photo provided by the author.

The lack of qualified substitutes for public schools is a nationwide problem, but in recent years, we’ve been able to see firsthand the extent of the issue and how it’s impacted local districts. 

When teachers have to take a couple of days off, there should be enough substitutes to cover all the classes. But this hasn’t been the case in the past few years due to the massive impact of Covid-19 on the education system and other pulling factors. 

Because of these reasons, full-time educators often end up picking up the slack, working together to make sure every class gets covered and that learning can continue normally and consistently. 

Troy Mathews, the Art teacher at Inza Wood Middle School (IWMS), said, “It hinders a lot, but we are a team,” showing a positive attitude towards the challenges staff face. 

It’s important to note that teachers covering each other’s positions get extra pay, and it’s optional. 

Jason Jenkins, a teacher at Wilsonville High School, expresses, “[He’s] glad [his] hours are contractually protected, and that [he] get[s] paid to sub during [his] prep period.” 

Regardless of whether a teacher enjoys covering or not, there’s no doubt that they work hard to put in extra time and energy. 

In a poll of 38 educators in our district, 44.7% said that they see an instance around 1-2 times a week where either they or one of their colleagues struggle to find a substitute.

Another 5.3% of teachers said they witness this issue over twice a week, showing frequent occurrences. 

Rob Arndt, a math teacher at IWMS, states, “Teaching during your prep makes for a very long day and takes more time and energy to make up for the work missed.”

The work that teachers do is necessary for the success of all students. It can’t hurt to show your teachers some extra appreciation and, more importantly, respect all substitute teachers.