MECHA and BSU attend West Linn’s unity day

The black student union and MECHA have joined together and attended their first annual unity day on May 25, 2018 at West Linn High School. Each club had the opportunity of releasing 5 students to be able to go to the event, and participate in the projects that the students have prepared.

Unity day is a special event that not all schools get to have. Unity day is the only day of the year where students get to talk about hard conversations, and express themselves with many activities. It’s the only time of the year where the school is actually united.  MECHA and the BSU got to pick out their activities by creating their schedules. It was very challenging for them because there were so many options to choose from. Options like self identity, sexual harassment, and mental health along with many more. Also, if there were classes that you just did not feel comfortable to talk about, there were many other activities such as dancing, cooking, conspiracy, and many more.

During lunch, the students who planned out the event, and the schools that have come – Wilsonville High School, and Art Tech High School – got to eat loads of pizza and also eat food from the food trucks that they hired. Students outside made sure the others felt comfortable and welcomed into their building. They did things such as letting us draw on their pavement with chalk and also made small light conversation with them.

Unity day was a great way for both clubs to meet each other and develop a new relationship, it was a great experience for the members of the club, and the chaperones, Ms. Meza, and Mr. Abraham  wish to create one for the future here at Wilsonville High School involving many others.