Eyes on the road Wildcats!

Ashley Sheirbon
Students responsibly parking in one of the lots at WHS. These parkers do not share the same issues that others in the school have.

Many of the students at Wilsonville High School have their licenses and their cars. With these things comes great responsibility and the need to care for others’ safety. Driving around a high school parking lot means there are going to be kids walking around and not paying attention to the cars passing by.

Recently there have been a few incidents between students driving and not making smart decisions. Driving is one of the leading causes of death among teenagers, so driving cautiously is key to being safe. Senior Avery DeVincenzi hasn’t been in any accidents but has seen them happen near the school. She says, “They are upsetting, frustrating, and scary.”

Being in a fender bender or a big accident can be terrifying for someone who has only had their license for a year or less. Senior Jasmine Brown was recently involved in a car accident with another student when leaving the school. She said, “All the traffic came to a stop, and I had to brake, and another student rear-ended me.” Jasmine says that she was “a little shocked in the moment.” 

Having a driver’s license means you get freedom, but it has a huge amount of responsibility. Many students take driver’s education to learn the rules of the road and how to be a safe driver. Listen to your instructors because they give very valuable lessons.

Avery’s advice is to “pay attention to not just what’s in front of you, but also what’s going on down the road.” Knowing how to be a safe driver isn’t something that comes naturally for everyone, so getting lessons, advice, or instructions is very important.

To avoid these accidents from happening students need to be smart and mature to ensure the safety of others. Avery also advises “stay focused on the road and not be on your phone” to her fellow students at WHS. Jasmine advises “be aware and go the speed limit” to those driving on the roads by the school and the parking lot. 

Students need to be careful driving around the school and with other students. Stay aware of what’s going on around you to avoid any accidents from happening. Nobody wants to have to deal with the aftermath of an accident and the stress that comes along with it. Stay safe on the roads, Wildcats!