Sophomores capture the Powder Puff championship for the second year in a row

Brooklyn+Waddell+and+Julia+Huchler+celebrate+putting+another+point+on+the+board.+Hutchler+kicked+in+a+textbook+field+goal.+

GM Artman

Brooklyn Waddell and Julia Huchler celebrate putting another point on the board. Hutchler kicked in a textbook field goal.

On May 31st, nearly 70 girls from Wilsonville High School competed in the annual Powder Puff football games.

The rain seemed to hold off for the first game of the night as the freshman took on the juniors. The juniors were quite confident going into the game; hungry for their first win of their high school careers. The freshman team had nearly double the of number of players as the junior team and their dominance showed at the beginning of the game.

The freshmen won the coin toss and decided they wanted the first possession. Right out of the gate, the freshmen scored a touchdown with the junior’s defense looking extremely weak. They went for the two point conversion and Sydney Burns snuck through the defense and into the endzone.

The game then slowed down as both teams played tough defense, leading to a halftime score of 8-0. After the 5 minute halftime break, the juniors pulled out a textbook play to score a touchdown, now down by only two points. Jillian Greene went for the two point conversion, trying to run through the middle of the defense and came up just short of scoring.

With approximately 5 minutes left in the game, the juniors made a crucial stop and had the ball in their possession once again. After four different downs, they were not able to score and freshman had received their first Powder Puff victory.

In the second game of the night, the seniors played the sophomores, who were the defending champions. The seniors were determined to win the last season of their Powder Puff career. After the 2020 class won their freshman year, you could say they had a little too much confidence despite the fact they were playing upperclassman.

The game started off with the seniors scoring a touchdown. They also scored the two point conversion, leading the sophomores 8-0. The sophomores then had the ball in their possession, and the seniors played some impressive defense. Julia Huchler kicked a field goal, but in Powder Puff scoring, it only counts as one point.

At halftime the score was 8-1 and the seniors were holding the momentum. But surprisingly, the sophomores drew up some trick plays scoring two touchdowns in the second half, leaving the seniors scoreless. Both the freshman and sophomore teams then advanced to the championship game, sending the upperclassman home.

In the final game of the night, the freshman took on the sophomores for the championship and bragging rights. The freshman started off with the football and scored in the blink of an eye, similar to their first game. Once again they were able to get the two point conversion, starting out the game looking very strong.

But for the remainder of the game, the sophomores came out fighting and scored two touchdowns. After halftime, the sophomores took complete control over the game. The sophomores, for their second year in a row, snagged the Powder Puff championship.