Bathroom quality update – December 2023

Connor Larsen
Hallway of the upstairs bathrooms in between the Mt. Ashland and Mt. Jefferson porches. It is spotless and free of the garbage that used to litter the floors.

A common criticism from Wilsonville students and other high schoolers all across the country aimed towards their school campuses is about the quality of school bathrooms, more so the lack thereof. 

The bathrooms have constantly been improving since coming back from the pandemic, where the bathroom quality was at a low point. From 2021-2022, the bathrooms were full of vandalism and stolen objects from the bathrooms. 

However, in the current school year, the improvements are clear when compared to last year. No longer do students smell the scent of a vape when they walk into the bathroom, and have a much higher chance of having paper towels to dry their hands with.

Jeremy Budroe and Grace Tuecke both reciprocate this opinion, with Grace stating, “The quality has improved a lot since they removed the doors, and the vandalism hasn’t been a problem at all. However, I do think we should have the doors back.” 

Jeremy also expressed similar appreciation and said, “It has definitely gotten better, and I like that,” and commented further on the bathroom stall doors and how they properly lock. Both Grace and Jeremy are seniors and are extremely pleased with the improvements over the last three years. 

Poor bathroom quality is an issue nationwide, some students feel the fear of even going to the bathroom at all. It is a major luxury we have at Wilsonville that our bathrooms stay mostly in order. 

For some schools, the problem even goes outside of the bathroom, with teachers refusing to let kids go to the bathroom to encourage more class time, kids are taught to ignore a human right. 

We thank the staff at our school who work to make our bathrooms the way they are today, clean and free of vandalism. We also wish the freshman will thank their lucky stars that they get to experience nice and pristine bathrooms for all of high school.