Elf was a success!

The+cast+of+Elf+bows+for+the+audience.+They+were+later+greeted+with+praise+and+flowers+outside+the+theater.+
Mia Poppe
The cast of Elf bows for the audience. They were later greeted with praise and flowers outside the theater.

Wilsonville High School has, again, provided a spectacular fall musical production. Annually, Wilsonville High School puts on a musical at the start of each year.

This year, they put on Elf, a musical based on the classic movie that is sure to get people in the holiday spirit. The theater department has put on a total of five shows of Elf, and in addition, one matinee meant for the middle school students at Meridian Creek and Wood Middle School. 

Almost all shows have been sold out and filled with excited parents, students, staff, and involved community members. Although Elf has been a resounding success, many of the lead roles in the cast are seniors. These seniors have been involved in the theater program for years prior, and they have seen the evolution of the theater department first-hand. 

Rayan Renison, senior who played Jovie in Elf, explains her involvement in the theater department. She details, “[the play] was really fun. My favorite part was being able to pick out outfits for my character since I want to be a designer and interested in fashion school in the future”.

She later goes on to state: “being a senior, it is surreal knowing that everything you’re doing is the last time you’re doing it at the High School level. It’s bittersweet because I can only go on from here.” 

Although Renison expresses the mixed emotions she feels now that the play has come to an end, she is considering participating in performing arts beyond high school: “I think I want to pursue some form of performing arts, whether that be continuing my music or doing shows in college”.

Wyatt Budeau is also a senior. He played Buddy, the lead role in the musical. He only started participating in theater last year.

He mentions that, “I’m a little sad that I won’t be able to perform with a lot of these people again, but I do know I’m not quitting. I’m planning on doing a Vocal Performance degree along with operatic and musical theater.”

Elf has proven to be an impactful performance, not only for the audiences, but for the cast members as well. It has allowed students to further express and encourage their talents after High School.