WIT provides new oppurtunities

GM Artman
Sophomore Grady Weise guards #15 for Redmond High School. Wilsonville would go on to win the game 62-37. Photo provided by Greg Artman.

The Wilsonville Invitational gives teams a preseason look at the schools they wouldn’t normally play. The tournament not only gives an outlook on potential competitors but also brings new opportunities to players who would otherwise swing up from junior varsity.

It gives those players a chance to experience the student section roaring beside them while under the gym’s fluorescents. It is a preview into what the future holds for these young talents.

This year we saw Wilsonville bring up a total of five players, including the likes of Brett Lyons, Grady Weise, Biz Nieuwstraten, Lincoln Mason, and Carter Christensen. All of which showed out for their respected junior varsity and junior varsity 2 teams.

Sophomore Brett Lyons experienced his first varsity minutes in their first game versus Ashland, claiming “I was super excited for the experience.” In this game, Lyons contributed to the win by splashing a three from the right wing. “It was really exciting seeing the ball go through the rim, especially because those were my first varsity points.”

A big part of fostering the next generation of Wildcat stars is the legacy and model left by the veterans of the team. Kyle Counts a senior forward committed to St. Thomas has proven to be a great leader for the youth with Lyons stating, “He helps in practice and games, with the different spots to be and the plays.”

Grady Weise, a sophomore guard believes the whole team provides the leadership required to be a successful unit: “Everyone on this team is a leader, especially all the seniors. If I ever have questions, I know I can count on them to guide me through the ups and downs of the season.” 

Since 2005, The WIT has been offering athletes an early preview of their future legacies and gives the fans a front-row seat to future greatness.