Group projects vs individual assignments

Ashley Sheirbon
Two students working together on a class assignment. Different students prefer different types of assignments to work on

It’s the classic question. Do students prefer group projects or would they prefer individual assignments in classes? Often, it becomes a matter of social preferences – whether students are introverted or extroverted. While this holds for most students, there are a handful of exceptions.

While introverts are frequently assumed to be “anti-group projects,” that stereotype isn’t always the case. Megan Whitt, a junior, described herself as an introvert but is open to group assignments due to the social aspect. “[Although] it can be awkward, it’s also fun to talk to other people,” she shares. 

Junior Mia Williams pitched in, and her preference depends on the project itself. Williams continued, “It just depends on the project. [Sometimes] I can just do this project faster on my own rather than deal with getting everyone together.”

So, students’ assignment preferences are not necessarily associated with how social people are; rather, what is more effective in the class as a whole.

However, teachers give different assignments based on their preferences as well. Some teachers believe that group projects are more engaging for the class, while others prefer students to work it out on their own. It even depends on the class itself!

For the most part, Whitt thinks her classes give a suitable balance of both group and individual assignments when adding, “The teacher usually has a preference, [but] there’s a good balance between your own work and group projects.”

One example Whitt used is her health class. Depending on what they are learning, their teacher gives the assignment type that’s appropriate for the topic. Often, that can be applied to most other classrooms. 

Teachers assign different types of assignments, mainly to give students a chance to get a mix of both. While students have their preferences, a diverse set of assignment types is crucial for success in the classroom.